The Very Worst Prayer Card

Alrighty, due to some technical difficulties (and me not being a technical person, like at all), I had to fix the pics with stupid screen shots. It’s ghetto rigged, so totally not as cool as it was when I first put it up, but you’ll at least get the idea. Sorry I’m lame. 🙁
Ok. I need your input. I’ve mocked up a few ideas for our new prayer card. But I’m just not sure which one we should go with. Which do you like best? I am totally open to your ideas and suggestions…
There’s the “Traditional” prayer card:

Or, for people who would rather not have some random family plastered on their Fridgidare, we have the “Scenic” card which I may call the “I support ugly missionaries” card:

For hipsters, we’ve got the “We miss IKEA more than we miss our families” card:

And, of course, some missionaries don’t have kids, so here’s a “Very Happy Christ-Loving Couple” card, featuring a very happy, Christ-loving couple:
In keeping with the flavor of this blog, I thought this was a good one. The “White Trash Bumper Sticker” prayer card:
And, of course (my personal favorite), the “Missionaries are like freaking Super Heroes so show a little respect!” card:
Now, seriously, which one would you want on your fridge? … or in your junk drawer? ….or under the floor mat in the back seat of your car?
Which one would you be least likely to throw away?
Which one might encourage you to engage in our ministry here by actively praying, or giving, or sending us extraordinary birthday presents?…
I need to know.

1. Jamie, the Very Worst Missionary on March 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Ok. I have no idea what I did wrong. but I'm working to fix it. So sorry. This is so embarrassing!!

2. Walking to China on March 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Can't wait to see them!

3. @donbleecker on March 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I dig the white trash one (guess why), and the couple one is good too (big surprise).

FYI, these people http://is.gd/b1erL actually have steam shoot out their ears when they see pictures taken of families on railway tracks…LOL.

Enjoy

4. rebecca on March 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm

i love all of them!!!!! but i think the last one is a keeper…..can i have a copy of the white trash one just for me though??????

5. Jamie, the Very Worst Missionary on March 26, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Don, those tracks have been out of use since the 80's so we felt pretty safe. Most of the ties aren't even in one piece – things deteriorate VERY quickly because of the climate – so to be quite honest, we didn't even think about it.
    But, i can totally see how it might make people nervous to see a family of five smiling stupidly at the camera while standing on train tracks!!

6. Walking to China on March 26, 2010 at 9:11 pm

The Ikea lover shot. Very emerging church.

7. sundog on March 26, 2010 at 9:52 pm

One of each please…

The last one gets my vote.

8. Kirk on March 26, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I like the "honest missionary on PMS" pose…

usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet people of this caliber (scene from the movie "Arthur")

9. Jonathan on March 27, 2010 at 12:23 am

Super Hero Missionaries. Lurve it.

10. Zac on March 27, 2010 at 4:09 am

Oh you mean the last one wasn't last years card? Because if you haven't used it, it is by far the greatest prayer card on the planet. Use it and send me one!

I like the others as well. I think the scenic view would be hilarious if you guys were in one of the closer trees. You would be small, but then people might think you had to live in trees, which in turn would put them quickly on their knees (or maybe they would send money out of concern).

As for the tracks being out of commission, didn't you ever see Ghostbusters 2 haha.

11. Bernard Shuford on March 27, 2010 at 6:14 am

"THESE ARE NO ORDINARY MISSIONARIES" definitely gets my vote. Holy cow. Of course, the one right above it absolutely cracked me up, but I don't think it would make the fridge. Just sayin'.

🙂

12. Missionaries in La Ceiba, Honduras on March 27, 2010 at 9:04 am

Okay – in order:
    1. IKEA – hip, yet tasteful, creative, modern
    2. traditional – believe it or not, I really like it! It's "traditional", yet beautifully done – somewhat casual, beautiful background
    3. Superhero – although I find this quite clever, unfortunately it will not appeal to a LOT of people…I know…I know…who cares…BUT – the other two have much more pros then this one.

Love ya girl – we just re-did ours as well – turned out okay.

13. Chantelle on March 27, 2010 at 9:05 am

Love them. Made me laugh so much. You and I seem so alike. I must be the worst "missionary" on the African continent since I too tell it like it is, hate to "censor" the blog lest it ward off supporters and am often the "shit disturber" of the team since I refuse to let the elephants in the room that no one wants to talk about stay hidden 🙂 So funny. We would get along great!

Chantelle

14. Boomer on March 27, 2010 at 9:23 am

I like the ikea and superhero ones. But you should sell the white trash one to those who are first time supporters or the supporters you want to just go away>

15. Jamie, the Very Worst Missionary on March 27, 2010 at 9:29 am

Zac, we had the pics shot in Dec, but I never got around to actually making them into a prayer card! Can you spell LAZY?!?! I'm the worst…
    So techinically it is THIS years prayer card.

Now, if I can only print and mail them!! haha…

16. Jamie, the Very Worst Missionary on March 27, 2010 at 9:29 am

The wannabe IKEA hipsters card is doing well in the polls….. I kinda like it, too.

17. Susie White on March 27, 2010 at 9:39 am

Here's an idea: take all the pictures (minus the bird pic) and crop it so that your card captures all those wonderful aspects of your family and the beautiful scenery. You will have a card that is very appealing, interesting, and more than the traditional single pose picture.

18. Chris on March 27, 2010 at 10:04 am

Here in East Tennessee I'd enjoy the white trash one on the ol styrafoam crooler. You can' t go wrong with anything Ikea either though.

19. Melissa Shaffer on March 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

Hilarious. So glad you blog. Last one for people's frigidaires.

20. Matt Snyder on March 27, 2010 at 10:27 am

Dude – the last one. HANDS DOWN.

21. Kyle Reed on March 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

I like the first one, but the one of you giving the finger is classic. I am sure that will get you support.

The one with the outlook of the scenery is cool to and with the tag line is priceless as well.

But I have to go with the first 1

22. Rodger and Lynne Schmidt Mozambique on March 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

Jamie, I vote for the traditional or the not the ordinary missonary one. I loved them both. Jamie, you will probably think me clueless and provential after this message but I would like to give my honest response after follwing your blog for some time. Many consider me outside the box and a person who doesn't follow the rules all the time. I get this about you too. My concern is that sometimes their is a fine line between freedom to express and do and say whatever we want and being disrespectful and arguabley over the line. I know you didn't ask to be a role model for anyone but the reality you are. I would hate for my sons to come across a picture of a fellow missionary flipping the birdie as if that would be an appropriate thing to do. I know it was a joke but the meaning of the birdie is pretty base and clear: honestly not something the Lord had in mind when he tells us to meditate on things that are holy. My only point is that just because we have freedom of speach and in Christ does not mean we have freedom to be unkind, base, and do and say whatever we want. Actually, our freedom gives us more responsibilty to control our speech and actions as we are even more acountable for them. Just my thoughts!

as you can tell, being the hospital I have way to much time on my hands. We love you guys and hope someday we will be on furlugh at the same time. Hope to see you in Folosm someday.
    Rodger

23. Zac on March 27, 2010 at 10:48 am

Susan's idea is brilliant. Here is what I could do with the small images you have pasted above. You can do way better and crop them and order them better… View Here Let me know what you think!

24. Carrie on March 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

I like the last one, but I'd probably go with number one or number two if it were me. I play it safe that way.

25. O Mom on March 27, 2010 at 12:01 pm

They're all great in their own ways. I guess I really like the one of just the 2 of you (too funnY) and the Ikea one!

26. Jennifer and Jeremiah on March 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm

The last one for sure. My supporters would LOVE a prayer card like that (ours is kinda' crazy like that actually) because it's showin' your personality. Your supporters know you, so they'd probably relish something that shows your family having fun together they way they know you do!! So much love to you all…

27. Anonymous on March 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm

jamie,

i am EXTREMELY offended by the card where you are flipping off people – afterall – you are holding a coffe cup instead of a beer can.

28. Becky Aguirre on March 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm

My favorite really is the IKEA picture, although I like the traditional one, too. The Superhero is cute, but there is an awkward place where it appears like your younger son has an extra leg…

29. Anonymous on March 27, 2010 at 4:04 pm

These Are No Ordinary Missionaries.. I LOVE it!

30. miller_schloss on March 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm

The one where you're flipping me off…it made me laugh out loud. It would probably make me laugh out loud every day.

31. brian chandler on March 27, 2010 at 6:34 pm

i vote bird as well. it speaks to me.

32. Susan on March 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I enjoy the superheroes one. =]

33. Hi! My name is Janet. on March 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm

last one. for sure.

34. alicia on March 28, 2010 at 12:08 am

LOVE the bird… might make people want to pray for you 😉 seriously though, can we use "the bird" card too??

35. tracey on March 28, 2010 at 7:27 am

I'm going to have to go with "we miss IKEA" or superhero themed, but I'm a little biased since that's kind of how I view my family as missionaries. no one would ever believe the 'we're in love' or the 'just this side of culottes & kjv' first one.

36. JP and Jessi on March 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm

The last one please!

37. Theo V. on March 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I think you guys should have a local artist make a painting of you…

perhaps with your 2 dogs under 2 arms…

wait… this is what I'm looking for: http://www.kimhunter.ca/images/english_hunting_painting.jpg

38. tamaraoutloud on March 30, 2010 at 8:35 am

See, I knew you were my soul sista. We both dropped the F-bomb on the same day on our awesome Christian blogs. What!

Here's my take:

Pic 1: Send to the lame-os who (Jack Nicholson voice) "can't handle the truth."

Pic 2: Send to the anthropophobes.

Pic 3: Send to the metrosexual worship leaders. (Shout out to SCL!)

Pic 4: Send as frightening warning to the newlyweds.

Pic 5: Send to me, because I will totally use it as a bookmark for my Bible.

Pic 6: Send to everyone else.

39. Megan D on March 31, 2010 at 10:37 am

Please, please send ME the white-trash-you-better-not-take-my-picture-bird, because that is awesomely funny, and would make me want to send any missionary like that nice birthday prezzies. Obviously, Pic #6 would probably make more sense for most people. Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not send #1. The world has enough of that prayer card. Girl, you make me want to serve Jesus with more joy. Keep it up.

40. bigfatrayosun on March 31, 2010 at 12:58 pm

hello jamie…

my bff is a blog surfer…she loves your blog. well she sent it to me, thinkin i would crack up too…cuz you are just like us…hey i know we are all individuals…but it's way cool to find someone who believes what you believe and isn't afraid to still be themselves…i posted the 'skeletons..'one on my FB…i love it!!! anyhoo, my favorite prayer card is the 'white trash bumper sticker' OMG i love it!!! so could i have one PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! let me know how to get one….and if you are sending them out to peeps or handing them out, i think the one that most everyone would like is the super heroes one…you guys are hillarious!!!! love your blog!!! i will be praying for you guys…

41. Natasha Page on March 31, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I liked the last one best until someone commented on the third leg. Now I probably can't get over it. So I have to vote for IKEA.

42. Shauna on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Love the bird…will send prayers! But if you need an alternative…superheroes is also dope. I have to agree…the world has enough of #1 to go around!!

43. Alida on April 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Your post made me laugh out loud… and now I need to figure out what kind of prayer card my hubby and I should send out. Maybe the perfect christian couple one would do!!

44. Judy on April 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Definitely the "no ordinary missionaries" one. It's great.

45. Jen McCracken on April 5, 2010 at 7:50 am

I think the Jesus loves you is the best. It sums it all up.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    We need to do our prayer cards soon, this gives us a lot of ideas.

46. Faithful Mali on April 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I like the last one the best, I think.

47. deemus on April 9, 2010 at 10:43 am

like the last one

48. Jamie, the Very Worst Missionary on April 9, 2010 at 10:46 am

hey deemus – it's been awhile!! glad to see you here. 🙂

49. Mama Bev on April 16, 2010 at 11:32 pm

ok, this was great! My husband and I are working on our prayer cards, too. So many different choices. . .

50. Chelsea Robbins on May 15, 2010 at 11:21 am

you're my new internet best friend.

51. Anonymous on July 30, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I like the "superhero" one the best. Everyone wants to be super, right? And you actually get to be that way. Sometimes.
    –Deborah K.