Censoring the Very Worst Missionary: A How To Guide

Several concerned citizens have come forward to lament the use of…uh…let’s just say the coarse language in my book, The Very Worst Missionary: A Memoir or Whatever.  Not because they have any kind of personal objection to my willingness to use all the words available. Nope, they’re upset because they feel I have an important message to share about faith or church or missions, and they know some people who really need to hear this message but won’t be able to because of “the swears”.

I am rolling my eyes so hard right now, but honestly? It’s kind of a valid objection.

I mean, it would be if I cared.

See, here’s the thing: If you want to be a writer (or a creator of any kind), you’ve really got to come to grips with the fact that not everything you make is gonna be for everyone and that’s ok. I have no interest in pandering to a larger crowd for the sake of a bigger audience, even if it means I won’t get my message to as many people. This may shock you, but it’s not my purpose in life to tell the whole church and everyone in it my thoughts on God and faith and ministry and all that stuff. My goal here was to write a memoir, not a thesis, so my job was to write my story, my way, and that’s what I did. For any number of reasons, the language being only one, the book I released into the world isn’t gonna appeal or be palatable to a lot of people, and I’m 100% cool with that.

That’s not to say I don’t care about furthering important conversations around the themes of spiritual evolution, church bullshit, and messed up missions that I touch on in the book, just that I don’t really care if some hyper conservative blowhards don’t hear those messages from me. If someone’s eyeballs are too righteously delicate too see “bad words” in print, or their earholes are too religiously tender for a little Audible profanity, then a book that uses the word “fuck” to talk about fucked up missions obviously isn’t the right vehicle to get the message to them. Like, I’m just not their people and my book is not their book — and that’s cool, because if you liked my book and you know some serial pearl-clutcher who needs to hear about something in it (but can’t because their face will melt off), you can tell them all about it using church approved words that won’t make their heart burst into flames or turn them into pillar of salt. And, bonus! They’ll actually be way more inclined to listen to your ideas because they know you and love you.

So I’m not worried.

BUT.

If you’re still super bummed that you can’t give a copy of The Very Worst Missionary to your sweet old Bible thumping granny or that college age niece who can’t take a hint and keeps sending you letters to beg for cash for her Spring break Mission Trip to evangelize shirtless Spanish soccer players on the beaches of Aruba, there’s an easy solution – CENSOR IT!

I’m dead serious.

Buy 2 copies, one for you and one for your special friend (it’s less than 10 bucks on Amazon), and censor it yourself!!! Since there’s such a wide range as to what people deem intolerable when it comes to language, you can even customize the level of censorship needed for your special someone. Like, your pastor might only need the vowels crossed out of offending words to make them readable, your mother-in-law could be ok with “ass” and “damn” but not “shit”, and you might want to thoroughly scour the pages for your 9th grader just so you feel like a good parent (even though you’ve seen her texts and you know she talks like an actual trucker at school). Whatever man.

The world is your oyster!

Since I already hand-censored a copy for a release party giveaway, I went ahead and made a handy guide for your use. It may not be totally complete, so use caution, but I did try to include all iterations (i.e. fuck, fucking, mother fucker, etc.) and compounds (i.e. dickwad, shitballs, etc.):

Fuck, pages xiv, 9, 52, 62, 65, 80, 106, 129, 148, 165, 170, 184, 203, 210

Shit, pages 3, 9, 10, 13, 21, 28, 30, 36, 44, 48, 52, 60, 61, 71, 73, 78, 80, 88, 92, 98, 119, 146, 152, 173, 175, 178, 179, 183, 184, 186, 192, 209, 210, 215, 220, 221

Asshole, pages xiv, 24, 34, 36, 178, 191

Bitch, pages 42, 82, 90, 102, 145, 183

Dick, pages 13, 14, 63, 88, 129, 176, 205

Damn, pages 8, 10, 18, 25, 69, 99, 146, 160, 210, 212

Bastard, page 10

Ass…Yeah,no. I’m not even gonna bother, because for real if your person cannot handle the word “ass”, you really need to find them a different book. For real. I appreciate your effort, but this will not end well.

So there it is! Finally, a solution to the SHARE vs SWEAR problem that’s been keeping us all up at night. Grab a sharpie and get to it!

Happy scribbling!!

1. Jessica on April 30, 2018 at 6:37 pm

You are clearly my people
    I’m an ER nurse who really belongs on the night shift.

2. Tony Markham on April 30, 2018 at 6:49 pm

I notice that your index includes vulgarity, there doesn’t seem to be any profanity listed. Do you indeed not use the Lord’s name in vain? Or just didn’t index it?

• Matthew on May 1, 2018 at 10:20 am

What is exactly taking the Lords name in vain? God damn it OMG or is it in fact the millions of Christians that day they follow the prince of peace while preaching eternal conscience torment to those who they consider ‘outside’ the love of God.

• Dichele on August 4, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Seriously, Matthew, you didn’t help answer that person’s sincere question at all. You just got up on your own personal soapbox to preach. Not helpful, dude.

3. Greg Wilson on April 30, 2018 at 6:50 pm

This blog is the work of one connected writer. Excellent piece, Jamie.

4. The Kerr on April 30, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Thank you. That was by the far best laugh I’ve had in a while. Zero fucks given that I can’t censor my Kindle book. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Shannon on April 30, 2018 at 7:36 pm

OMFG . . . ROFFL, and yes, that’s a big, fat FUCKIN’ . . . I love you. Just had to say that. Thank you. Keep it coming. In whatever words you prefer. The world will survive. Or not.

6. Annika on April 30, 2018 at 7:37 pm

🍎❤️

7. Jaime on April 30, 2018 at 8:38 pm

the following events occurred the day after I finished your book. I was at church when my daughter (3 yrs old) she snatched a communion cup spits out the wafer and downs the juice. A lady behind us sees her and starts screaming, “Has she been babtized? She is shaming God.” She wouldn’t stop saying it. Over and over. Finally, I told her to stop and mind her own damn business. There i was holding my communion cup and cursing at the church lady. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Dee on May 1, 2018 at 12:33 pm

I said the phrase “bloody Christians” once to a church lady… as in “bloody Christians are everywhere”. It did not go down well. The fact that bloody doesn’t even register with me as a bad one should tell you something about me. I only wish I had the presence of mind to say “you know, washed in the BLOOD of the lamb, you stuck up, self-righteous baboon” Yes, my attitude also needs some work.

• StuartWriting on May 1, 2018 at 11:24 pm

My friends Mum used to tell us the following:

Bloody’s in The bible.
        Bloody’s in Thr book.
        If you don’t believe me
        Take s bloody look!

Great article 👍🏼

• Fr . S on May 2, 2018 at 6:02 am

…although technically it comes from the Mediaeval swear “By Our Lady”, whereas “Zounds” so often featured in things like Pirates of the Caribbean came from “God’s Wounds”

• Dee Brennan on May 4, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Interesting Fr S, I never knew that… we’ll ya learn something new everyday! Love the origins of words and expressions like this cause… I’m a bit of a nerd that way I suppose! Thanks for that 👍🏻

• Gerri Ahart on May 2, 2018 at 12:38 pm

That is hysterical!

• maria on August 28, 2018 at 10:28 am

BAhahahahahaha! Love it!

8. Katy C. on April 30, 2018 at 9:31 pm

I always think of Christians who don’t “swear” (but they do say “fudge” or darn or some other word that sounds like_____ but isn’t ______) as embodying the whitewashed sepulcher passage. God knows what’s in your heart and isn’t fooled when we say “gosh darn”. I LOVE that the outside of your sepulcher is as dirty as the inside. Mine too!

• Craig on May 30, 2018 at 9:20 am

If you say “darn” you’ll go to heck.

9. Tiffany on May 1, 2018 at 12:12 am

I’ve just read the whole book cover to cover in one sitting and I can honestly say that I did not notice the swears at all. They seemed contextual. Appropriate. Completely unremarkable. That could be because I’m Australian and we are rather fond of swears. Or perhaps because the truth, well spoken, isn’t about your choice of adjectives. It’s just the truth. Yours is a book about telling the truth in life, in faith and in describing your emigrating psycho-cat. All those things are better with swears 🙂

10. sus on May 1, 2018 at 6:48 am

Best. Blog. Post. Ever.

11. Ted Robb on May 1, 2018 at 8:37 am

I’m glad you brought this up. You’re book resonated with me in many ways. Instead of a foreign missionary, I was considered a “Home Missionary” in my denomination. I was a church planter…one who was sent out to plant churches in american towns that already had enough “Evangelical” churches but not one of OUR churches. I burnt out and left that profession/calling 25 years ago.
    I am, now, an ancient guy of 65 who still sees the BS (OK, Bullshit) of our human offerings in ministry and missions. I see how they are messed up (yeah, OK, fucked up) in big ways compared to the life and teachings of Jesus. And I am trying to do my part to correct this in my little way in my corner of the world.
    Yes, I use “crap” and “flippin'” and “freakin'” in public a lot to the raised eyebrows of some of my believer friends around me. I do have my favorite private or good company swear words like “shit”, “bullshit”, “ass”, and “hell”. I seldom go beyond that. I am not comfortable doing so. Let’s just say it took me a long time to get this loose.
    Through reading the book, I came to applaud, admire and even be a bit jealous of the sincerity and depth of your faith and relationship to Jesus Christ. I still struggle against the rules and constraints of my past to this day. And no, I wasn’t offended with the language in the book.
    Obviously I come from a different era and background, but I just wonder, was it necessary, or just natural to get you and your point across?

12. Meg on May 1, 2018 at 10:11 am

Adore you, lady. Just finished reading your book, and it’s safe to say that it has very much changed my approach to my faith and my future. Thanks for not being just like everyone else. 🙂

13. nerdywordybirdy on May 1, 2018 at 12:46 pm

I read this book and loved it, and I posted about this exact thing on my own blog because I am SO SICK of people throwing out someone’s whole opinion because they use swear words. Like, not slurs or insults, just swear words. I saw that happening to this book in the Goodreads reviews and it just drives me insane! I don’t really care if you swear or don’t swear, but it makes me crazy when people get so worked up over it. I appreciate your transparency, and absolutely LOVED the book!

14. chloe on May 1, 2018 at 12:58 pm

you are FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!! you are my people. BYE HATERS!!! I love the shit out of you.

15. Katherine on May 1, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I asked for your (uncensored) book as a birthday gift.
    My husband and I do college ministry. Our language, while mostly “clean”, is more colorful than most regular pastors. Sometimes I forget that when we visit other churches to talk about what we do on the campus. Only one church body got really offended by that. But they also got offended that my husband didn’t wear a full suit, tie, and stand up on a huge platform during the sermon. Too bad they missed the point of what he was talking about – breaking down barriers that Christians have constructed that keep the unchurched as far away as possible from God’s redeeming love.
    Keep up the great (frickin’ awesome) work!

• Amy on May 15, 2018 at 7:56 am

The Church needs more messengers like you and your husband, and fewer “Church Ladies”.

16. Em on May 1, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Hi.
    I’ve never heard of you before until last night, when a friend of mine shared this blog post with me, after I was lamenting to her in discouragement and frustration of a co-worker sending me emails telling me that I was in disobedience to scripture because I don’t believe that using the middle finger in a joking manner between friends is inherently sinful, and instead, held that it could be done in a loving, “building up each other” manner.

I argued from Greek, gave references of sarcastic and graphic language from scripture, and multiple “common sense” examples. I also argued that words themselves are not any more sinful than letters are sinful, but that the context–circumstance, relationship between people, and intent of the words–is what gives them value and purpose and morality. He believes I’m in full sin against God by holding this view, and is discrediting my trustworthiness as a Bible teacher (of high school students, which I have been for 8 years). For reference, I am 30, and he is 23, and this is his second year here. He is not coming back next year because he is going to seminary to become a pastor. This is troubling to me, as I fear him making pharisees in his wake. I have done my diligence in pleading with him to see a different perspective, but it seems it is in vain at this point. All I can do is pray for God’s conviction of his spirit of arrogance, though ironically, I know he is probably praying the same for me.

Anyway… I wanted to comment here for two reasons:
    1) to thank you for reminding me that I am not alone. I’m not crazy in this perspective. Life is fucking hard sometimes, and stating it is as such, that starkly, I believe is being authentic and truthful about the human condition. If we aren’t willing to do so, and want to clean up the very language about our lives, how can we face it’s reality in an honest manner? also, when we are so afraid to use certain words because they are “the bad ones”, I believe we are giving WAY too much power to man-made morality and social norms, rather than the guidelines assigned to us by scripture… which has–I interpret–NOTHING to do with not using certain words or phrases, but seeking to build up the body of Christ and love people with our words in the way that THEY receive it.
    2) I wanted to ask you, as it seems you are “my people” as you state–an honest question (which I am trying to figure out myself): How do you wrestle with the idea of wanting to be sensitive to the weaker brother (1 Cor. 8, Rom. 14) while also having integrity about life (as mentioned above) as well as “being all things to all people” (1 Cor. 9) in order to love and minister to them… which I actually believe INCLUDES using language that makes them feel not ostracized, and might not be as “clean” as some would like them to be in our churches? I want to educate people, and often feel compelled to shout, “Societally “bad” words are not sinful!! STOP BEING A PHARISEE!!!” …while also not having an attitude of arrogance myself.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

• Dena on July 11, 2018 at 10:42 am

What a lovely comment. I can sense the love you have both for your “pastor-in-training” as well as for those in the world around you. I’ve had the same concerns about my own saltiness; wish I had a satisfying answer.

17. Lindsay on May 1, 2018 at 5:54 pm

I binge-listened to this at the recommendation of a missionary friend ;). I only wish you had recorded the Audible book yourself, so I could hear your voice! Just listening to someone else read JH’s Forward, I know she probably didn’t do you justice.

18. Jan Haag on May 1, 2018 at 8:21 pm

I so love your book and am in no way put off by the “coarse” language. It’s not offensive to me, and, in fact, I’m laughing my fanny off at your photo of the marked-out words and the list with page numbers. The writer/reporter/editor in me hates that you felt you needed to do that, but this post so amuses me that I’m glad you wrote it.

As my grandmother (a deeply devout woman) used to say, “What some people’ll get their knickers in a knot over!” (And, bless her, though she didn’t swear, she was gracious enough not to be put off by people who did, including her own family members.)

Let me join the chorus of well-wishers and fans: The book is great. You’re great. And we’re so glad you wrote what you did and kept at it through many drafts. It’s a gem, Jamie!

19. Kim Elliott on May 1, 2018 at 9:23 pm

After years in church ministry led to the demise of my marriage to the highly stressed, overwhelmed and undervalued pastor, I found myself at work in the secular world for a construction trades Union. Imagine my shock after 17 pious years in which I considered “shut up” to be profanity when I’m in a planning meeting and the “F” bomb, sandwiched between numerous other expletives is flying from every direction! I was certain the wrath of God was about to drop us all!

I’m more effective in helping people move toward Christ now that I’ve taken off my holier than thou attitude. I still don’t use swear words often, however, 3 years into my new life and I no longer nearly tremble when I hear them. Oh, that I would have spent as much time reaching others as I did judging their words!

I’m so buying your book!

20. Julie Coyne on May 2, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Holy fuck! So grateful to you for the full body laughs you just inspired, and grateful to Nadia Bolz-Weber for steering me towards your unapologetic and hilarious writing. I can’t wait to read your book! I’m definitely sensitive enough to adapt my language in certain conversation so as to not offend more delicate sensibilities, but don’t even try to judge me or my faith or my work based on the way I express myself in private or off the record. I swear, I’ll never understand how it is that people can have so many fucks to give that they can go around worrying about /attempting to censor how other people choose to express themselves in their own personal lives or in their own personal books. Who died and made them Judge of All That is Moral and Good and Representative of True Christianity? Certainly not Jesus. His game was pretty much rooted in the opposite of judgement, always making crystal clear the fact that there was just no time to be caught up in petty bullshit. Micromanaging other people’s behavior only takes you away from what you’re really supposed to be doing: loving them. Thanks for putting your voice out there. Always psyched to find my people!

21. Anna on May 3, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Just finished your book. Laughed so hard at some parts. I bought it after reading this entry…thanks for writing it.

22. MaryAnn Smith on May 4, 2018 at 9:45 am

That’s the funniest shit I’ve read in a long time.

(From a devout Catholic who swears like a trucker.)

23. […] She writes, […]

24. Tenille on May 5, 2018 at 10:58 am

As a dissuliosioned believer who left the church almost a decade ago, your profanity and honesty give me hope. I started reading your book yesterday and couldn’t put it down. Your foul mouth may be the very thing that convinces folks to give God a second chance. Keep beating the fucking drum my friend.

25. Amy on May 6, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Jamie,
    IMHO, this book just wouldn’t be the same without…what did my former church call it… “gratuitous obscenities”.

I just came here to say that, and to also say thank you for existing.

and now I shall return to reading your book, and continuing to write my own, which is also broken and doesn’t “end neatly”.
    Bravo.

26. Jim Johnson on May 8, 2018 at 2:45 pm

I just discovered your blog and love your honesty. I discovered you through the interview you had with Relevant Mag. posted to Facebook. To be honest, that’s the only thing I have read from you.

My wife and I have been missionaries for 27 years. 7 years in Bulgaria right after their communist government fell in 1991 and 20 years in Berlin where we (didn’t plan too but) planted a church for young adults. We are not with any large organization. We consider ourselves more as pastors than missionaries. We absolutely love it. There have been some very hard times and I don’t think we could live in Bulgaria again under the conditions we did in the 90’s, but during that time God’s grace wonderfully covered our family. My children (a 15 year old girl and 8 year old boy) had very positive life experiences and express tremendous gratitude for that time in their lives. Our daughter now lives in Sweden and pastors a church there with her husband (a forestry engineer).

I have seen a lot of missionaries come and go. Some people are simply not called to cross cultural ministry or to the profession of Christian service (often called full-time in Christian ministry although we know every Christian is a full time minster no matter what their profession is). My experience says that there needs to be a clear calling and placement by God on a person and family to live and minister in a foreign land or it will not be work and it will be a horrible experience.

I know there are a lot of weird missionaries, hopefully we aren’t (the people around us seem to like we are normal and show us incredible love and acceptance). One of my greatest compliments came at a wedding I was performing for a very radical young German woman who said I was the most non-American American she had ever met. (Non-American not Un-American). That’s not because we try to be non-American but simply God’s gift to relate to people where they are, in a way that is real and not trying to make people into Americans.

I hope you have discovered that there are some good missionaries in the world. For me it is not a matter of us knowing how to do things better than others or that we have the answers. It’s a matter of, this is where God wants us to be and to serve Him, and who am I to question God. If anyone goes to another country with the attitude that they are the answer for that countries, they are too full of themselves or very immature.

May God bless you and your family wonderfully Jamie.

Jim Johnson
    former Californian living in
    Berlin, Germany

27. clancy dunigan on May 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm

I recall Frank Zappa commenting on slang & specific profane words…fuck, shit etc. Words like that are all just vowels & consonants in different order. What’s the big deal.
    Is seems it is much more profane to normalize or ignore nuclear weapons, & water boarding, red lining people of color and such. Really getting in a pietistic huff because a writer or presenter uses what a listener my consider vulgar language is a bit of a’ majoring on the minors’ as far as I can discern.

28. Square Peg on May 10, 2018 at 2:43 pm

I just finished your book and we are now passing it around the office. And guess what? We didn’t mark out a single shit, fuck, or damn!
    It is now in the hands of an atheist guy who has a Jehovah’s witness wife…rock on…somehow I think a goody two shoes memoir of perfection would not have been accepted by them. But your realness might introduce Jesus in the most unconventional way!

29. Dennis Cleary on May 16, 2018 at 6:20 pm

I propose, instead, the you simply highlight the “offensive words” in bright orange so that your friends can be duly warned that there are bad words, but still make the decision themselves whether to read them or not. Let us not be the ones to decide right and wrong for others.

• John J. Shaffer on July 20, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I can see it now. Multiple editions. It can be as popular as another book that I can’t remember the name of right now, but it was related to “prosperity gospel” stuff. Much more profane than your book.

30. Jenny on May 17, 2018 at 7:17 pm

This.is.hysterical. I never ever take the time to comment on blogs. Because, effort. But today, worth it.
    Love and kisses,
    Jenny (church planter pastor wife from Georgia. I get it.)

31. Lisa on May 21, 2018 at 10:23 am

Beautiful! You do You.

32. Mel on May 30, 2018 at 9:17 am

Wow, there’s a lot of fucking virtue signaling going on in here. 😀

33. Randy on June 3, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Dear Ms Wright, God bless. I think that there is a very significant role for your rough language. I am guessing that you are trying to separate the awful things you have seen and experienced from your true vision of the God that you seek.
    I feel that I don’t have the right to actually comment on the mourning you have experienced. However, coming from a missionary family, I do know that tough times like this cause us to question the things we once thought we knew. Malcolm Muggeridge compared it to Jesus’ 40 days in the wilderness. I do think that we can all benefit from your lessons learnt.

34. Aunna on June 8, 2018 at 4:18 pm

You’d get a terrible Plugged In Online review.

35. Katie McCrea on June 28, 2018 at 9:52 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing a book in my language! I’m so tired of feeling like a bad Christian for being the tattooed, foul-mouthed delight I have grown to be. Thank you for letting us all know it is OK to not be PERFECT. Your book was great! So honest and down-to-earth!

36. Michael Duncan on July 10, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I’m a retired Baptist minister who does not find your language bothersome. I find you message bothersome, as it rightly should be. So much of our attempts to help others is well-meant but not all that helpful and often damaging. What I’m bothered by is the light gray print. My older eyes need more contrast. Any possibilities of some help in this area?

37. Jojo on July 13, 2018 at 7:59 am

Personally, I wouldn’t call my grandmother a ‘Fucktard’ or an ‘Asshole’ because, not only do those words not apply to her, despite the “use all the words” mentality (or sub-culture?), she would never refer to someone that way. She doesn’t speak unkindly of anyone, even though it is her freedom to do so. I guess that’s why I want to be more like her than anyone else. She models Jesus to me. And speaking of Jesus, He too has never said an unkind word to me. He’s never told me that I was just being a ‘Fucking Bitch’ and I needed to get over it, or anything remotely similar. He says the nicest things to me, or comforts me with a sweet surprise, when other slander and slur me like that.

• E on August 14, 2018 at 8:58 am

Agreed, Jojo.

38. John J. Shaffer on July 20, 2018 at 12:17 pm

As a “retired” missionary, I enjoyed the book very much when I finally got it read (in two sessions of reading). While I found some of the language jolting, in context, it was understandable. You should publish a follow-up book with black lines covering the bad words. That way you and your publisher might make even more money. The title could be “The Very Worst (Censored) Missionary” (with Censored lightly black out, so that the word is readable. I claim no financial reward for my damn good idea.

• Dichele on August 4, 2018 at 8:44 pm

John, that is a hilariously good idea. I second the motion!

39. Fred on July 24, 2018 at 11:57 am

I question my faith constantly due to the use of these words – I’m a SS facilitator who swears in his private life but plays the game in church!

40. Diane Granic on July 30, 2018 at 6:55 am

Wow, lots of comments!
    Thank you for your insight about Christian “missions”.
    Can you tell me, is there anything I can personally do about an international missions society that collects “support” for a 93 year old living in a retirement community, because his letters say he has coffee with people. I’m related to him and I just . can’t. stand. it.

41. E on August 14, 2018 at 8:57 am

I’d be a hypocrite if I objected to all strong language in general. I definitely don’t have a “soft tongue” lol. What makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up in the worst way possible though, is to read sentences like “Jesus was a mother fucking bad ass”. I hate even typing it out because it is insanely flippant and SO so disrespectful. You want to use strong language to talk about things in general? That’s one thing. But to use it to describe a God so holy that Scripture tells us about people falling like dead in his presence…I can’t do it. I wouldn’t use that kind of language to describe a human being I respect and love to no end (like my mom, my grandmother, some of my best friends), much less the God of the universe who was tortured and murdered on my behalf. It’s like that respect for the spiritual stuff that’s way beyond us and we’ll never understand with our limited minds, is just disappearing more each day. Breaks my heart.

• maria on August 28, 2018 at 10:38 am

Considering Jesus “became sin” and “is not ashamed to call us brothers”, I think he isn’t worried about words that express emotion that he claims he related to in the deepest possible way. To feel he is distant and “above” us in any way is to miss the point he pounded to the nth degree – that he is ONE with us, IN us, and we live and move and have our very being in Him, that NOTHING can take us from his hand, that he will never leave or forsake us.
      Jamie’s using those words subverts this idea that somehow we are worms and could be nuked if it were God’s whim or desire. The idea that we can offend, alienate, or that authentic words could in any way dismay this God who doesn’t claim to be loving, but IS love (which bears all things and keeps no record of wrongs) is simply ridiulous.

42. Christi Miller on August 20, 2018 at 8:40 am

I had a beer with a Buddhist at a bar while in Chicago. We had the best conversation around Jesus and religion and people. I would have been scared of that before breaking free from the religious mold I thought I had to squeeze myself into. Thank you for being you and not masking it.